Monday, June 29, 2009

Artsy Fartsy

So among the tumult of life these last few weeks I had to pencil in a little art time (har har har) to complete a painting for my history class. I know that a painting isn't your run of the mill history final projects but my professor was really cool and gave us quite a few options to choose from and I chose to paint.

There is a depression era photo taken by Dorothea Lange that is known as "migrant mother" that I have really wanted to render as a multi layer stencil for a long long time. In fact, I even attemped to do so once a few years ago and wound up spending like 12 hours cutting out a single layer that was only 8 1-2" x 11" before I gave up. This time around I did things a bit differently. I decied to do a larger print, I kindof dumbed down the layers because i havent stenciled anything for quite a while and I told my professor that I was going to make a painting thus obligating myself to follow through.

I snapped a few shots of the process with my futuristic camera that is also a phone... you should really check these things out because they are nifty. I think that in the future every one will have phones that also take pictures.















I know that was a long bunch of pictures without dialog but I will do nothing to excuse myself because I am lazy and don't feel like labeling them. What I can tell you about the process though is that it was pretty fun. Like I said, it has been a really long time since I have cut a stencil like that so it was a little bit daunting at first and I suffered from "cutters block" also known as "I-have-no-idea-where-to-start-itis" but I eventually got to it and it wasn't so bad.

That project definitely got the gears turning and I hope to do some more projects like this and hopefully some fun mixed media stuff. Keep an eye out for that stuff because i hope to mess around with some of it soon.

1 comment:

  1. I love that Dorothea Lange Photo, it's just so real.

    Chris is UBER jealous of your stenciling skillz. I think he'd like to learn a thing or two from you!

    ReplyDelete